Promoting the history and beauty of churches in the county of Essex, England.

You currently have items in your basket
Total: - View Basket

St Laurence's Church, Blackmore

 

Useful? Please spread the word...


 

CHURCH DETAILS


Church Website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/pcslblackmore/

Visit Dates: 19/03/2004 & 09/09/2006

Locking Status: Locked - no keyholder details

Build Date: Norman - originally priory church


 

EXTERNAL IMAGES


St Laurence, Blackmore Church - Carlsberg don't make timber church towers ...but if they did ...they'd be the best timber church towers in the world!

0017e001.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - Seriously, though, this really is one of the finest, if not the finest timber church tower in the country. This claim is upheld by Pevsner and many others.The tower consists of a lower storey with three lean-to roofs on each of the N, E and S sides. Directly above is an area of square weatherboarding. Above this, is another storey with four lean-to roofs, followed by what is a more common sight in this county - a square bell stage, topped with a shingled broach spire.

0017e002.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - In addition to the link to the church's own website, provided on the 'DETAILS' page, more history on Blackmore can be found on Andrew Smith's blog.

0017e003.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017e004.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017e005.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017e006.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017e007.jpg

 

INTERNAL IMAGES


St Laurence, Blackmore Church - The original Norman W wall, still easily recognisable from within the tower.

0017i001.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - From Pevsner's Buildings of England: Essex...Internally it possesses ten posts, making a nave and two aisles. The tower itself stands on the centre six, three N and three S. The arched brances for the cross-beams run N-S, thrown across the second and the fourth pairs. In addition, there are smaller and lower arched braces in an E-W direction between posts 2 and 3, and 3 and 4. Above these are two tiers of cross-struts. A date of c.1480 has been suggested by Mr C.M. Hewett (Archaeological Journal, vol 119, 1962). Tree ring dating in 2004 has now suggested a date of around 1400 for these timbers.

0017i002.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017i003.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017i004.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017i005.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017i006.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017i007.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - The nave. The N aisle is early C14, whilst the S aisle is clearly C16, with it's brick piers. Due to the early dissolvement of this priory (1527), it is unclear as to whether the C16 alterations where as a result of the move to parochial use.

0017i008.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017i009.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - Looking towards the W end of the nave. Directly above Julie's head is a Norman window. This is one of a pair of upper windows that can still be seen.

0017i010.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017i011.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017i012.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017i013.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017i014.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - One of two blocked doorways at the E end of the S aisle. Either this, or the doorway to it's left, would have led into the cloister.

0017i015.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - Original Norman upper window in the N wall of the nave (W end).

0017i016.jpg

 

GLASS IMAGES


St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017g001.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017g002.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017g003.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017g004.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017g005.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017g006.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017g007.jpg

 

MONUMENT IMAGES


St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017n001.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017n002.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017n003.jpg

 

MISCELLANEOUS IMAGES


St Laurence, Blackmore Church - The Cresset Stone, which can be seen in the Church, dates from about this time. It is a primitive form of oil lamp made of stone containing several shaped hollows. These recesses were filled with oil in which was placed a floating wick. The example in the Church is one of the finest in the country and the only one in Essex and it was, without doubt, used in the Priory to light some dark passage. Source

0017m001.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017m002.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017m003.jpg

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

0017m004.jpg

 

LOCATION MAP


 


 

Essex Church ~ St Laurence's Church ~ Blackmore Church ~ St Laurence, Blackmore ~ wedding ~ christening ~ baptism ~ mass